Penn Hills Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to get new businesses to come to Penn Hills?

4 posters

Go down

How to get new businesses to come to Penn Hills? Empty How to get new businesses to come to Penn Hills?

Post  ceciliasjafra Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:39 am

Just a thought or 2
What businesses do we need in PH?

Where can we find these companies that will help us out by setting up shop in our town?

I'd love to have a one of everything right in my community. So what don't we have?

OOPS, that was 3 thoughts.

Help would be great- let's all go to the library on wed Aug 20th for that meeting at 7pm .

Have a good day and look around for what we need as your driving/bussing/ shopping around town.

Cecilia
ceciliasjafra
ceciliasjafra

http://www.myjafra.com/CGray

Back to top Go down

How to get new businesses to come to Penn Hills? Empty Re: How to get new businesses to come to Penn Hills?

Post  HopefulInPh Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:18 pm

ceciliasjafra wrote:Just a thought or 2
What businesses do we need in PH?

Where can we find these companies that will help us out by setting up shop in our town?

I'd love to have a one of everything right in my community. So what don't we have?

OOPS, that was 3 thoughts.

Help would be great- let's all go to the library on wed Aug 20th for that meeting at 7pm .

Have a good day and look around for what we need as your driving/bussing/ shopping around town.

Cecilia

I want something like Michaels here!!!!!!! Or a Pet store. Smile Kids clothing outlet :)I'm trying to think of the stores I go to Monroeville for.
HopefulInPh
HopefulInPh
Admin

Back to top Go down

How to get new businesses to come to Penn Hills? Empty Re: How to get new businesses to come to Penn Hills?

Post  ChrisP Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:50 pm

Hopeful:
Just for the record there is a pet store in Penn Hills. Well, I'm not sure it's technically Penn Hills but it's close. COOPERS is located at the intersection of Frankstown and Verona Rd. - there's a little shopping center across from that Giant Eagle (EAST HILLS? Maybe?). Anyway, it's a great pet store. Very personal service... great people, great selection. (They would always carry my huge bag of dog food out to my car for me.)

Stop by if you haven't already... I used to go there all the time before by dog passed a few year's ago.

Thanks,
Chris

ChrisP

Back to top Go down

Post  ceciliasjafra Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:33 am

Cooper's is a great store, I also went there for my dog, they even carry some meds for dogs. dogless at the time.
But they don't carry frog food or have pet, fish, or other items that Pet co has .
They have been her forever and want them to stay, but we need another store for what they don't carry.
I have to go to monroeville for frog food for my sons underwater clawed frog food., cuase I can't find a local store.

Maybe the muncipality needs to look at what we DON"T have in our area and get those store interested in coming to Penn Hills.

If we continue to let the muncipality know want we what, maybe there get up as finally do something.
Just a thought
ceciliasjafra
ceciliasjafra

http://www.myjafra.com/CGray

Back to top Go down

Post  savepennhills Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:56 am

More businesses in Penn Hills? Great idea, we must also prevent existing businesses from leaving. I grocery shop in Wilkins twp. I shop at Ross Park Mall. I go to Mon. Mall for every day needs. I don't even fill my gas tank here. Why is that? What makes me spend my $$$ elsewhere? I'd love to spend my shopping time (which can be vast) here and support Penn Hills with my dollars. Let's admire the drive into Penn Hills via Rodi Rd. How unattractive can you get. Shame on Penn Hills for allowing such a trashy looking entrance to Penn Hills exist. Zoning seems to have no continuity. Over grown weeds and OLD boarded up businesses greet all those arriving. How proud!!!! Don't get me wrong, I know what it takes to operate a successful business. I don't have an issue with a person trying and failing, only with the twp. allowing the sites to deteriorate. Who would EVER want to lease or purchase property in such poor condition. They must stay on top of the owners of the property. Code Enforcement anybody?

The many retail and restaurant businesses we desire will not move here. There are so many demographic studies done before a company invests in an area. Look at Monroeville. Sorry to say they are beginning to experience some of the same problems. Linen'n Things, Chili's, Boscov's are the 3 most recent closures. Their parent companies would be remiss if they allowed under performing stores to remain open.

Wal-Mart is supposedly on the horizon with locations on 2 sides of our twp. Will they draw new residents to Penn Hills? Don't know, but it will be a great source of revenue provided no tax exemptions were granted.

Please don't say I am negative and boohooing. Nobody wants this place to be what it once was more than those of us who have lived here for 50 years or more. Only stating facts. I stand proud, I defend Penn Hills to all of my friends and family who have flown the coop North and East to newer and up and coming communities. I will say I have thought about flying as well. For now, I will stay the course. But frankly, things must improve around here for many others to stay. I spoke to some who are giving the school situation until Christmas. Seems they have a backup plan in place.........Que Serra!!

OH,
I do spend alot of money at Della Salla's Pizza. Still the best around, but that's for another blog.

savepennhills

Back to top Go down

Post  HopefulInPh Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:36 pm

ChrisP wrote:Hopeful:
Just for the record there is a pet store in Penn Hills. Well, I'm not sure it's technically Penn Hills but it's close. COOPERS is located at the intersection of Frankstown and Verona Rd. - there's a little shopping center across from that Giant Eagle (EAST HILLS? Maybe?). Anyway, it's a great pet store. Very personal service... great people, great selection. (They would always carry my huge bag of dog food out to my car for me.)

Stop by if you haven't already... I used to go there all the time before by dog passed a few year's ago.

Thanks,
Chris

Thanks Chris!!! I can't believe I forgot about Coopers!!! wow! that saves me from running to Monroeville, I'll start going there I'm all for suporting our local shops:)
HopefulInPh
HopefulInPh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  HopefulInPh Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:57 pm

savepennhills wrote:More businesses in Penn Hills? Great idea, we must also prevent existing businesses from leaving. I grocery shop in Wilkins twp. I shop at Ross Park Mall. I go to Mon. Mall for every day needs. I don't even fill my gas tank here. Why is that? What makes me spend my $$$ elsewhere? I'd love to spend my shopping time (which can be vast) here and support Penn Hills with my dollars. Let's admire the drive into Penn Hills via Rodi Rd. How unattractive can you get. Shame on Penn Hills for allowing such a trashy looking entrance to Penn Hills exist. Zoning seems to have no continuity. Over grown weeds and OLD boarded up businesses greet all those arriving. How proud!!!! Don't get me wrong, I know what it takes to operate a successful business. I don't have an issue with a person trying and failing, only with the twp. allowing the sites to deteriorate. Who would EVER want to lease or purchase property in such poor condition. They must stay on top of the owners of the property. Code Enforcement anybody?

I'm with you there SPH! I know the other day I was driving up Rodi Road..............I was in my car fussing to myself, when I saw the old gas station at the bottom of Rodi road, it looks a complete MESS! I was furious!!! I don't know who owns that property but the Municipality should be hitting them with some huge fines. I've been thinking about this, why can't the municipality offer PH students summer jobs cutting grass? Then fine the property owners for the service?

Wal-Mart is supposedly on the horizon with locations on 2 sides of our twp. Will they draw new residents to Penn Hills? Don't know, but it will be a great source of revenue provided no tax exemptions were granted.

I wonder about that with the new East Gate location, and a 3 way split. (City, Wilkinsburg, Penn Hills)

Please don't say I am negative and boohooing. Nobody wants this place to be what it once was more than those of us who have lived here for 50 years or more. Only stating facts. I stand proud, I defend Penn Hills to all of my friends and family who have flown the coop North and East to newer and up and coming communities. I will say I have thought about flying as well. For now, I will stay the course. But frankly, things must improve around here for many others to stay. I spoke to some who are giving the school situation until Christmas. Seems they have a backup plan in place.........Que Serra!!

I don't consider this boohooing at all! You got to honestly face a problem, before you can begin to solve one. I think we all have to be open minded, and prepared to deal with some tough topics. But I'm keeping the faith, but that doesn't mean I didn't have a back up plan too!!!

OH,
I do spend alot of money at Della Salla's Pizza. Still the best around, but that's for another blog.

Okay now SPH, we have a category here for general topics........ no holding out!!! Do share? Smile)
HopefulInPh
HopefulInPh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down