Penn Hills Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey, look, it happens everywhere

2 posters

Go down

Hey, look, it happens everywhere Empty Hey, look, it happens everywhere

Post  Rosedale Resident Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:02 am

comments about bullying at Riverview
Submitted by teamoakmont on April 7, 2010 - 1:23pm.

I wanted to agree with "Big Sister's" comments at the very end of the "bullying" blog on this site. Bullying is unfortunate and can be dangerous but every school district faces this challenge. It is disheartening to read the negative comments and I feel for those who have experienced what they've stated.

BUT, I have to say that from personal experience I have had positive responses from our HS and elementary principals, counselors and most teachers when I've called or emailed with any issues. It is important for people to know that we are still a VERY GOOD SCHOOL DISTRICT, but with the same problems all PUBLIC school districts face, albeit on a smaller level.

I also have to say that it is sometimes necessary to be persistent in these cases because kids that bully often are very good at flying under the radar and no matter how well other kids are "trained," most still don't stick up for their peers or report it. It is a very difficult issue but the Olweius system is well researched and apparently one of the better anti-bullying systems.

One of the greatest tools we have are strong teachers who really won't put up with bullying BUT you need to be aware that teachers are afraid of being threatened personally and hit with lawsuits in our era so they may be afraid to act. Many of our peers (parents, that is) are in total denial about how their kids act and how they treat others or else they simply don't care. Most often, THEIR kids are the problem and they don't want to hear it. This complicates and limits what an administration can do.

Again, a complicated issue but we STILL have great teachers, guidance counselors and principals. We are lucky to be in Riverview, in my opinion.

We are not alone with our problems, even Oakmont has thugs!
Rosedale Resident
Rosedale Resident

Back to top Go down

Hey, look, it happens everywhere Empty Re: Hey, look, it happens everywhere

Post  HopefulInPh Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:01 am

Oh My Goodness, it's not just us?? Gasp! The only difference in Penn Hills and a lot of other places is they're not in the papers for every negative thing that happens.
HopefulInPh
HopefulInPh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum