Penn Hills Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A question about PSSA's and classes

2 posters

Go down

A question about PSSA's and classes Empty A question about PSSA's and classes

Post  Rosedale Resident Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:56 pm

With the district habitually underachieving an the PSSA's, and the law stating that parents may choose to enroll their children in another school that has better scores, what is Penn Hills going to do if any school fails again?

We are down to three elementary's with little room for shifting students, and with the middle and high school being the only buildings for those grade levels, where are the parents going to find alternatives?

More taxes going to cyber and charter schools.

I know that we can not afford ignorance, but can we afford education?
Rosedale Resident
Rosedale Resident

Back to top Go down

A question about PSSA's and classes Empty Re: A question about PSSA's and classes

Post  HopefulInPh Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:46 am

Rosedale Resident wrote:With the district habitually underachieving an the PSSA's, and the law stating that parents may choose to enroll their children in another school that has better scores, what is Penn Hills going to do if any school fails again?

We are down to three elementary's with little room for shifting students, and with the middle and high school being the only buildings for those grade levels, where are the parents going to find alternatives?

More taxes going to cyber and charter schools.

I know that we can not afford ignorance, but can we afford education?

Hey RR,

Interesting question, which leaves me with few questions of my own. My understanding is that the only time the parents get the option to enroll their children in another school is if the failing school receives Title 1 funding. (Title I is a grant for schools with a certain percentage of low-income students , the grant can only be used in ways to help children achieve. (Example: tutoring services.) The school district states that Linton and the High School does not receive Title 1 funding.

Some of our elementary schools do qualify for the grant, but when you put all the children in the district together the percentage of low income students is not high enough to qualify?

So my question is..... when all the children are moved to the Mega Disaster Elementary building ......... How much Title I funding will the district lose??? How much Title I funding are we getting now? Has the move to the Mega Elementary School forever stop the School District from having to offer any of the students in the district school choice? Was the Title I grant taken into consideration when the board made the Mega School decision? Think about who gets messed over with the School Board's decisions........ low income children...... their services will be CUT when the Mega School opens. Also, if the Elementary Schools fails, over and over such as Linton and the High School has, Penn Hills Parents will Never be given the option of school choice. How much does the decision for the New Mega School has to do with Title I/ School Choice?

...................................................................................................................................................................
"Know your school choice options in Pennsylvania.
In Pennsylvania some districts allow children to transfer to schools outside their district (called inter district choice). They can also attend charter schools. Low-income students are eligible for scholarship funding to attend private schools.

Under the federal No Child Left Behind law, students attending a Title I school designated as “in need of improvement” have the right to attend a higher performing school in the district."

http://www.greatschools.org/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/Penn-Hills-School-District/

..............................................................................................................................................................

Title I Stimulus Estimated
Funding authorized by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act for Title I of the No Child Left Behind Act to support the additional education needs of children from low-income families in 2009 and 2010. Funds first became available in 2009.

N/A $897,355

Title I 2010 Estimated
Title I of the No Child Left Behind Act authorizes direct aid from the federal government to states and school districts to support the additional education needs of children from low-income families.

N/A $1,822,007

http://febp.newamerica.net/k12/PA/4218590/all

..............................................................................................................................................................................
HopefulInPh
HopefulInPh
Admin

Back to top Go down