Penn Hills Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Penn Hebron Academy

3 posters

Go down

Penn Hebron Academy Empty Penn Hebron Academy

Post  HopefulInPh Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:40 pm

I'm trying to figure out something. Penn Hebron is listed on the PSSA results web site as " Penn Hebron El Academy.

I also notice after reviewing a school board meeting on the Teacher's web site that Penn Hebron is not considered a NEW school because of the configuration?? So my question is... IF that school never changed, still has the same ID number where the state is concerned, WHY did the academy stop?
HopefulInPh
HopefulInPh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Penn Hebron Academy Empty Re: Penn Hebron Academy

Post  ceciliasjafra Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:05 pm

The Penn Hills Academy concept was part of the ADI program that school board recommended for Penn Hebron. I was one of the original parents asked attend the training and to serve on the SCC, School Community Council, which was part of the ADI's 3 year program.

One of the BEST tools, beside the dedicated teachers/staff, was the UNIFORMS. Penn Hebron was my home school for both my children. So, I can speak from personal experience on this subject.

As the program started, while the teachers and staff adapted to the uniforms, so did the students. After the first few month, any outsider could see the difference not only in the students but in the great strides everyone was making. Dible even attempted uniforms that following years, but parents were not going to put up with that.(so sad) By the end of the 3 year and mind you my son was now in 3rd grade. It was amazing how a school that was targeted as a failure was and did make excellent AYP improvement over those 3 years. All the students were so PROUD of their success and hard work.

Now, lets talk about what happened when the school district reconfigured and changed Penn Hebron to a 4th and 5th grade school, housing all the district students.

The first thing to go at Penn Hebron was the UNIFORMS. What a dissapointment and a mistake as far I was concerned. I watched these Penn Hebron students that were so proud of all their accomplishments change before my eyes over the next 2 years. We didn't have problems with our students, that first year, but from other students that were not use to Mrs Barker and Mr.Woods, Academy concept still being used, minus the UNIFORMS. My son was even affected and that didn't sit well with me. His grades did not drop, but the attitudes and changes, he was experiencing, along with our other students was something that broke my heart as a mom and active parent at my home school of 20yrs. Want to know more, just ask me. By the way, the SCC was still active during those 2 years and yes I was still on the committee.

Why would a district change such a positive element, UNIFORMS, only to watch our students and others within the district schools... FAIL????? Who is running the school district, the parents ??? or the educators???? or the school board??????

By the way, for those that know me, I'm back.... Very Happy

Last edited by ceciliasjafra on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : error)
ceciliasjafra
ceciliasjafra

http://www.myjafra.com/CGray

Back to top Go down

Post  HopefulInPh Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:43 pm

WELCOME BACK Cecilia!!!!! Smile I always thought when they reconfigured the District Penn Hebron became a New School (as far as the government was concerned). So I was surprised to find out years later that was not the case.

What I still don't understand is IF the board felt the Academy (with Uniforms) was something positive for Penn Hebron when the ADI program was implemented and Test score improved, why when other students were being transferred to Penn Hebron they didn't feel the need to require children to wear Uniforms,.... even though they knew the complete ADI program increased test scores??

Does make you wonder who's running the District? Hmm....If that's how it works, Parents get what they want? Maybe we should demand the Elementary School implement the ADI program WITH uniforms next year? If that's what it takes to get the children's test scores up... I'm all for it!!
HopefulInPh
HopefulInPh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ceciliasjafra Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:31 pm

That was suggested at a school board meeting in the past. the cost was toooo much. And on a survey, the parents did not want them.
I worked with Barry Patterson in trying to get it (uniforms) at the elementary level for the 'Penn Hills Way' committee last year but don't know what happened to that committee?????

I think it's the parents who actually run things around here, must be an elite group to have that much control.

It's a shame. I went to Deer Lakes open house and was very impressed with their middle school and how they don't put up with the "stuff".
How can they, as a public school, do and take care of the "stuff" that Penn Hills is not able to do or take care of ?????

I was almost afraid to say that my son came from Penn Hills, but I did. Glad he is now getting the education he should have been getting from this school district.
Hope this new superintendent makes some much needed changes to move our kids forward and inplimenting programs that work and have proven they work like the ADI and uniforms.

talk to you later
ceciliasjafra
ceciliasjafra

http://www.myjafra.com/CGray

Back to top Go down

Penn Hebron Academy Empty hebron academy

Post  mr.ed Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:32 pm

I'm not sure I understand, you went to deer lakes school?

Anyway the Academy concept was a good idea. Why would any parent disagree with it? They (parents) were fighting the Woodland Hills Academy but they went ahead with it anyway and it turned out great. I think one of the arguments against it was "well if your going to do that for some students what about the ones that are not in the academy"? Well don't they understand that you need to start somewhere and work your way up.

I remember when after they killed the academy in Penn Hills, Barry Patterson put it to a vote to convert all of the schools to academies, and of course he got outvoted. I don't understand his strategy on that one - he should have tried to get Hebron back then work from there.

I have been taught this lesson: No matter how good the idea you have, there are naysayers who will object to it. Nattering nabobs of negativity.

mr.ed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down