Penn Hills Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Penn Hills To Enforce Residency Requirement

2 posters

Go down

Penn Hills To Enforce Residency Requirement Empty Penn Hills To Enforce Residency Requirement

Post  HopefulInPh Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:53 am

Apr 5, 2010 11:34 pm US/Eastern

Penn Hills To Enforce Residency Requirement

PENN HILLS (KDKA) Several police officers in Penn Hills may soon be fired if they don't move.

The township wants to set a precedent for all municipal employees by making them live where they work.

Right now, 11 Penn Hills officers are in violation of a rule that requires them to live within five aerial miles of the township's border.

Four of the officers have been grandfathered and they'll be okay.

But seven other officers have to move by Aug. 5 or they'll be fired.

The loss of seven officers would have a big impact on the 46-member police force, but an arbitrator agrees with the township – the officers must move or leave the force.

An aerial mile is slightly longer than a regular mile. Even so, the seven officers live outside the required distance.

One man complained about it to the township commissioners Monday night. He says police officers are paying earned income taxes to Pittsburgh instead of Penn Hills.

The township is cracking down on police officers and all other employees who don't live in the township.

The municipal manager is the one cracking the whip.

He says it is their hope and goal that the officers comply.

The head of the Penn Hills Police Union declined to talk on camera, but off camera, he complained about two things.

First, he says the township has failed to enforce that residence requirement for more than 20 years.

Secondly, he claims some municipal managers are violating the residency rule, but they won't identify who those managers are.

afro

Last edited by HopefulInPh on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
HopefulInPh
HopefulInPh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Penn Hills To Enforce Residency Requirement Empty Residency requirements

Post  Rosedale Resident Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:39 pm

Bravo, Penn Hills.

Now if the School District would do the same with teachers AND administrators, this community could start clawing it's way back.

Those tax dollars would do wonders for this community. All of the above, not just the police.
Rosedale Resident
Rosedale Resident

Back to top Go down

Penn Hills To Enforce Residency Requirement Empty Re: Penn Hills To Enforce Residency Requirement

Post  Rosedale Resident Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Hey, where is Angela?
Also, I meant to reply, not start a new thread.
Rosedale Resident
Rosedale Resident

Back to top Go down

Penn Hills To Enforce Residency Requirement Empty Re: Penn Hills To Enforce Residency Requirement

Post  HopefulInPh Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:12 pm

Oh no!! I forgot her!!! I have to edit Smile

afro

P.S. I merged the topics.
HopefulInPh
HopefulInPh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  HopefulInPh Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:42 am

Rosedale Resident wrote:Bravo, Penn Hills.

Now if the School District would do the same with teachers AND administrators, this community could start clawing it's way back.

Those tax dollars would do wonders for this community. All of the above, not just the police.

I kind of agree with you R.R. Imagine is they all did live in the district, I bet a lot of things would change!
HopefulInPh
HopefulInPh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosedale Resident Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:13 pm

Imagine is they all did live in the district, I bet a lot of things would change

My feelings, when you live here, you pay MORE attention to what is happening in your community. Now I know that is not true for all residents, but, educators, administrators, and police officers, living here would have an effect.
They would face their constituents an a daily basis, at the grocery store, library, church etc. Ideological concerns and thoughts could be shared in a non spotlight arena.

I guess that is part of the reason for not wanting to live here, they might feel as if every venture out of the home was a potential ambush, however, I think that would be short-lived, if it happened at all.

This community isn't going to get healthy because you and I post ideas here, it is going to get healthy when revenues increase,people listen to and address concerns of others, and when people stop complaining and start working for change, even if working means not voting the same people into power time and time again.(Maybe that should read especially, not even.)

I am a glass half full person, I still hold hope for Penn Hills.
Rosedale Resident
Rosedale Resident

Back to top Go down

Post  HopefulInPh Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:51 pm

Rosedale Resident wrote:
Imagine is they all did live in the district, I bet a lot of things would change

This community isn't going to get healthy because you and I post ideas here, it is going to get healthy when revenues increase,people listen to and address concerns of others, and when people stop complaining and start working for change, even if working means not voting the same people into power time and time again.(Maybe that should read especially, not even.)

I am a glass half full person, I still hold hope for Penn Hills.

R.R. you should post this ALL over the community!!! I'll make shirts...........Talk is cheap, get involved!!! Smile

You and me R.R. king afro LOL

P.S. will you be at the next CDC meeting?
HopefulInPh
HopefulInPh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down